I was inspired today to write this post after reading Lindsay Newitter’s blog, Ten Reasons for which I am Grateful for the Alexander Technique, and after participating this month in “30 Days of Gratitude” hosted by Louise Edington on her Fabulous and Fearless Facebook page. After all, of all the things I am thankful for in my life, Alexander Technique ranks very high on the list! Many thanks to Lindsay and Louise!
So here are my top ten reasons why I am grateful for the Alexander Technique:
- I’m free from the chronic neck pain and tension that plagued me before I started lessons.
- My posture and coordination have improved. I often move now in a much more fluid and natural way.
- I have much better, and more accurate, awareness of what I am doing with my own body.
- I’m aware of my own thinking patterns and can intervene (most of the time…) to stop unnecessary negativity, worrying and other non-productive thoughts.
- My energy level has increased. And yet, I’m also better aware of my own limits and am better at pacing myself.
- I am able to work at the computer without discomfort.
- My confidence in myself is much more secure. I feel more at home in my own body and with who I am.
- I find it easier to say “yes” to things that would have daunted me before, and, conversely, easier to say “no” when needed too!
- I have made wonderful connections with people nearby and around the world through being part of the Alexander Technique community.
- I now have a fulfilling career as an Alexander Technique teacher bringing this powerful work to others.
My “top ten” will change somewhat from day to day as there are so many ways that this work has enriched my life, but the Technique is always there for me now, either in the background, or front and center, whenever I need it.
If you too have benefited from the Alexander Technique, I’d love you to share what you are grateful for in the comments below. Thank you!