Life just got easier!
This phrase – a mini description of the Alexander Technique if you like – was thought up by Alexander teacher Theta Michele Drivon. This came up during a presentation at the annual conference of the American Society for the Alexander Technique in Chicago which I attended at the end of June. The phrase resonated with many of us, including me.
So why did we like it so much? I think it spoke to us, because it really does feel like so much of life is easier with the Alexander Technique. Of course, this doesn’t not mean we won’t come up against various challenges and hardships. Rather that we have a tool which can serve us in many (if not all) situations in at least some small way.
The word “easier” is also linguistically related to the word “ease,” another quality often associated with the Alexander Technique.
As I thought about this phrase, I came up with this list of some of the ways in which the Alexander Technique had made my life a little – or a lot! – easier:
- The chronic neck pain from which I suffered before studying the Alexander Technique is for the most part long gone. Life just got easier!
- I am more confident and self-assured when dealing with others. Life just got easier!
- I am more comfortable in my own skin – with being myself. Life just got easier!
- I am now able to enjoy my time at the computer each day without any adverse effects (strain, tension, back pain, RSI, etc.). Life just got easier!
- I am aware of tensions starting much earlier than I used to, and have learned how to intervene and release them so they don’t become a big problem. Life just got easier!
- My daily walk is so much more pleasurable since learning the Alexander Technique (check out Walking the Alexander Way by Amy Ward Brimmer). Life just got easier!
- When exercising I use my body much more appropriately and efficiently so am much less likely to hurt myself. Life just got easier!
- I’m much more aware of my thought patterns, so when worries or negative thoughts surface, I have strategies which allow me not to let them take over. Life just got easier!
These are just a few of the ways in which my life is easier due to the Alexander Technique.
Have you studied the Alexander Technique? In what ways has it made your life easier? I’d love to hear from you. Please leave your comments in the box below.